Search This Blog

Friday 5 July 2013

Book Talk: Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls

This is a book that is particularly close to my heart, and is another favourite read from long-ago. It's a middle grade, and I know all my other posts have been about YA, but trust me: even adults will love this book. Do not knock it till you read it.

And I found out a couple weeks ago that they made a movie! How did I not know this? Still waiting for my local video shop to get it in stock, sigh. Then at long last I can finally watch it, although I think they might have changed some stuff, based on the trailer, which is here.

SO EXCITED!!!! :O

Now, *deep breath* onto the book. Which I know I'll love more, since I always love the books more -- Twilight being the only exception.

11-year-old Sam has leukaemia, and while there's no chance for a cure, he's on a drug to buy him time. Time to do all the things he wants to do before he dies, which includes riding in an airship, beating a world record, having a girlfriend, and getting answers to "where do we go after we die?" "Will the world be there when I'm gone?" "Why does God make kids get ill?" and other such philosophical ponderings. But where can one find answers to the questions no one will answer?

Ways to Live Forever is nothing short of beautiful, moving, fascinating, and extraordinary. Go and read it RIGHT NOW. Especially if you liked John Green's The Fault In Our Stars. Sam will reach right through the pages and touch your very soul. This book speaks the truth in a way that only true talent can. Go read it. You won't be sorry. I particularly liked it because, even when bad things happen (and bad things do happen -- it's a book about kids with cancer) you don't feel like Nicholls is just being purposefully cruel, unlike SOME people I could mention . . . but I'll restrain myself. No, here the author is just being -- like I said before -- frank and truthful. And I love how she had the bravery to do that. It really does make all the difference. I salute you, Sally Nicholls!

AND YAY FOR A UK AUTHOR HOLDING HER GROUND IN A SEA OF AMERICAN BOOKS!!!

Not that I don't adore you, America (coming to visit in the summer! Yay!) but we have such a woeful lack of home-grown children's and teen literature. We need more Sally Nichollses in the world.

And this blurb has the best hook ever:

My name is Sam.
I am eleven years old.
I collect stories and fantastic facts.
By the time you read this, I will probably be dead.

It still gives my shivers!!

Star rating: 5/5

Now, I'm going to shut up and let you read some real writing. Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. The internet has lied to me. There is a film . . . which has not been released in the UK yet. Or the US. I think only Australia so far. Which means I need to go complain to the employee who sold me an unreleased DVD. Heads are going to roll, folks. Just joking. It is pretty bad that they did that though. THE TRUTH COMES OUT, VIDEO STORE! Sorry if I confused/crushed anyone's hopes.

    ReplyDelete